Oh so many good things cooking this week, but I do believe my favorite has to be the homemade chili. It is SO good and yummy on a brisk fall day.
- 1lb of Hamburger meat
- 2 cans of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Chili seasoning mix of your choice OR 3 tbsp of Chili Powder
- 4 cans of dark red kidney beans (my favorite by far!!!)
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- Brown the hamburger meat in a skillet, my preference is a cast iron seasoned well.
- Once cooked completely, drain and place back in skillet.
- Add Chili seasoning or Chili Powder (Optional, a little garlic salt or your favorite seasoning can be added at this point too.
- Then add the 2 (8oz) cans of Tomato Sauce (I really like to use just 12 ozs....but if you use all 16oz's it doesn't change much except thickness of chili.
- Add the 1/4 cup of sugar and mix all of this together in skillet....over a medium to low heat.
- While that is simmering enough to get hot, I add my 4 cans of dark red kidney beans to my slow cooker (without draining them) and add the brown sugar to it. Go ahead and start it on low.
- Once the skillet all mixes well and gets hot, I then add it to my slow cooker and stir it together well.
- Cook on low for about 3-4 hours....can cook as long as you like on low, but keep stirring and making sure sides don't burn. I usually turn mine to warm around the 4-5 hour mark if I am having a party where I want and need to keep it warm.
I love to serve my chili with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, scallions, and sour cream. So good and hearty for the fall and winter months. This chili is a little sweeter than most chili's, but it is a great combination of spicy and sweet. Give it a try!
Don't miss out on any of our recipes
Subscribe to The Patriotic Pam!