Here is a recipe for the week.....we made this soup this weekend and it was wonderful. We found the recipe on allrecipes.com and altered it just a little. (Yes I don't believe we EVER make anything straight by the recipe alone....haha!)
|Just a few of the ingredients we used for the Beer Cheese Soup.|
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp of minced onion (we used a sweet onion)
- 1 tsp of minced garlic (use fresh, trust me!)
- 1 1/2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can or bottle (12 oz) of light beer (OK, we didn't use a light Corona, but you could!!!)
- 1 3/4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of ground mustard
- 2 cups of half and half cream (we actually used Lactaid for our son and it still turned out thick and creamy!)
- 3 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 4 oz of Velvetta (about 1/8 of a large block)
- 1/4 cup of corn starch
- 1/4 cup of water
- salt and pepper (season) to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in butter until the onion is tender. About 5 mins. Pour in the Worcestershire sauce and beer.
- Bring to a boil for about 3-5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and mustard. Reduce heat to medium/low (we definitely used low on our gas stove).
- Pour in cream while stirring
- In a separate bowl, toss together the shredded cheddar cheese and flour. (not the Velvetta!)
- Add shredded cheese/flour mixture to the saucepan slowly until melted.
- Whisk together the corn starch and water in a small bowl, stir into cheese mixture in saucepan. Continue to whisk as it heats up and thickens.
- Just as it is hot enough, add in your Velvetta cut into small squares. Continue to whisk and stir until it is melted. This will thicken up your soup just a tad bit more. (IF it gets too thick you can add a few extra tbsp of chicken broth if needed!)
- Season to taste. Serve.
We served ours with freshly sliced bakery baguette and Frito Scoops. Also could be served with popcorn! This is a yummy cold weather soup! Or just a great Football Weekend (we like Saturday football almost more than Sunday!) Beer Cheese Soup! Here is the original recipe we started with! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/football-sunday-beer-cheese-soup/
My favorite tool when making this recipe is my Oxo Good Grips Whisk.
This does a great job at whisking the cheese as it melts. Hope you enjoy and try this amazing soup. It was a really top recipe for us!!!