Week 4 of 12 Weeks of Mac N Cheese
Spicy Buffalo Mac N Cheese
This week we went with a little different variety and made our Buffalo Mac N Cheese. Although we LOVE to put hot sauce even in our normal mac n cheeses, we usually only add about a teaspoon to give it flavor. This week's Mac N Cheese has over 1/2 cup of Franks Hot Sauce. As we like to say, "kickin' it up a notch"!
- 28 oz Elbows Pasta
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cups Gouda Cheese
- 1 cup Fontina Cheese
- 1/2 cup Vermont Sharp Cheddar (We used a speciality Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese, so I am adding the photo of the packaging for you to see.)
- 1/4 cup of Franks Hot Sauce
- 1 cup Crumble Blue Cheese
- 1/4 cup of yellow sharp cheddar cheese (just to add a contrast to the top)
- ITEM NEEDED: small cast iron skillet(s)!!!
1. Boil Pasta and set aside.
2. Grate gouda, cheddar and fontina cheeses.
3. Set cheese aside until later.
4. Melt 1/2 cup of butter in saucepan on low heat.
5. Add flour, salt, pepper.
6. Whisk together in saucepan and add 1 tsp spicy brown mustard.
7. Continuing over low heat slowly whisk in 4 cups of milk. Whisk until it has thickened.
8. Slowly add in grated cheeses and continue to stir while they are melting into the rue.
9. Once rue has melted, add pasta, 1/2 cup blue cheese (save rest for topping) and hot sauce. Stir.
10. Place individual servings into small cast iron skillets. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and blue cheese. Bake at 325 for 10 mins to melt top cheeses.
11. Serve, but CAUTION....cast iron skillets stay hot for long periods of time! (IF serving to children, remove from skillet before serving!)
We love to use Ziplock Round small containers for storing individual servings of Mac N Cheese for the week. Our Mac N Cheese recipes make about 12 servings, so left overs are a must.
Our son LOVES to have left over Mac N Cheese to reheat for lunch during the week. So these storage containers really work well.
We hope you enjoy this yummy, spicy buffalo flavored Mac N Cheese as much as we do. Also incredibly creamy!!!
If you like this recipe try our other Mac N Cheese recipes. Here is the link to our 12 weeks of Mac N Cheese recipes...