Alex's Rockin' Barbecue Sauce
(Today I have someone special guest posting for me. He wanted to give it a whirl, and since he has been helping out a lot in the kitchen lately, we decided it was a great opportunity for him to learn. He created this barbecue sauce from start to finish with my husband's help. They looked through hundred's of recipes and pulled ingredients that they thought would be good for the flavor they wanted. And then as they made it, they continued to adjust ingredients to their taste. This is the finished product and boy was it yummy on our Big Green Egg ribs!)
Hi, I'm Alex, the son of The Patriotic Pam. I am only 11 years old and that proves that anyone can cook. I chose to start cooking, because it is fun to learn for when I get older. Also it is fun and important as a family in the kitchen. I am the cook and photographer for this post. Hope you try and enjoy my creation.
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Ea Small yellow Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Ea Jalapeno
- 1 Cup ketchup
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vineager
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/3 Cup regular yellow mustard
- 1/4 Cup Apple juice
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Frank's Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Firmly Packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup molasses
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (in the Raw)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat,melt the butter.
- Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Add ketchup, tomato sauce, vinegar, honey, mustard, apple juice, soy sauce, worcestershire, hot sauce, liquid smoke (if using), dark brown sugar, molasses, and sugar in the raw, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and serve or cool and store the sauce in a airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you enjoy this homemade sauce, try our favorite homemade Honey Mustard too!