Sugar Donut Muffins
Who doesn't LOVE a Sugar Donut....now made into a muffin. I stumbled across this recipe on Stylish Cusine blog. But the original recipe came from Baking Bites website.
3/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (cinnamon can be substituted, but makes for a more cinnamon muffin, versus this vanilla donut tasting muffin!)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk (low fat works, we even substitute Lactaid and it works great!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup sugar, for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Lightly grease muffin tins with cooking spray or vegetable oil (I used paper liners)
3. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
5. Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine.
6. Pour in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
7. Divide batter evenly into muffin cups. Yields 24 mini muffin cups or 10-12 regular size.
8. Bake for 15-18 minutes for regular size and 11-12 minutes for mini size. Insert tester or toothpick into center and it's ready when it comes out clean.
9. While muffins are baking, melt butter and pour 1/2 cup sugar into a small bowl.
10. When muffins are done, lightly brush the top of each with some melted butter, remove from pan and roll in sugar. Cool on a wire rack.
For Cinnamon Muffins: Substitute cinnamon for nutmeg....add Cinnamon to sugar for rolling at end....works great for a slight cinnamon taste.
For Gluten Free: Substitute gluten free flour for flour, but add 2 extra tbsp of gluten free flour, otherwise mix is a little runny. Also add an extra tbsp of sugar, as gluten free one seems a little less sweet as stated above.
My son LOVED these....he was the one who wanted to try the cinnamon, as he loves cinnamon on everything. I think he approves. :O)
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do. If you try them, come back and tell me what you think of them!!!
To follow along with more great recipes, please consider following via email....