WEEK 12!!! I can't believe it the whole 12 week series is over. 12 AMAZING Mac N Cheese recipes to share with you. It ends with my absolute favorite...a creamy mac n cheese made with a few wonderful different cheese that has just the right amount of bite. One of the things I love about this recipe is you can serve it right from the stove top OR you can prepare early and bake in an oven for reheating or even on a grill, like the Big Green Egg. Makes for a great "Take to a Cookout" kind of recipe!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- 16 oz Pasta
- 1/4 cup New York Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Bergenost (Buttery triple cream Muenster/Havarti style cheese)
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 cups milk
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup plain ruffle style potato chips crushed into small pieces
1. Boil pasta over medium heat until al dente. Drain and set aside
2. Grate all cheeses and set aside
3. In a saucepan over low heat melt 1/2 cup unsalted butter.
4. Add flour and mix well.
5. Add all seasoning and 4 cups of milk to include the bay leaf too.
6. Bring slowly to a boil stirring constantly. Don't let heat up too fast.
7. Remove from heat, remove bay leaf and add in cheese & hot sauce and stir until a thick cheese sauce.
8. Add into pasta and stir together.
9. You could serve from this point OR place in a oven proof baking dish and top with crushed potato chips. We placed ours in a cast iron skillet and put on our Big Green Egg grill at about 300 degrees for about 5-10 minutes.
If you are going to make ahead and then reheat via oven, it will need about 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven to reheat thoroughly. If you place in oven immediately from saucepan, it will only need about 5-10 minutes to brown chips on top.
I added a twist to mine and topped with Frank's Hot Sauce just before serving....oh it was perfect!
Please check out all 12 weeks of our Mac N Cheese recipes. They are all yummy and easy to follow.
Like this recipe? Be sure to get my new ones too...
Subscribe to The Patriotic Pam!