After 9 weeks of very cheesy, creamy, high calorie Mac N Cheese, I decided to try my hand at a Low-Fat version of our yummiest. My challenge to this was to NOT lose the flavor of our amazing Mac N Cheese recipes. I believe this recipe does just that! Lightened up, but continues to have a great taste.
I toyed with lots of ideas on how to lighten it up...but finally just decided to take one of our favorite base recipes and lighten up all ingredients. I was able to save about 180 calories PER SERVING!!! Not too bad if I should say so myself.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 12oz of Whole Wheat Pasta (we used whole wheat shells with extra fiber)
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 12oz can of Low Fat Evaporated Milk
- 1 3/4 cups shredded Low Fat Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup water (save 1/2-2/3 cups of water from the water used to boil the pasta)
- Boil pasta and set aside. When draining pasta save about 2/3 cups of the boiling water. Also set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp of margarine over low heat
- Add flour and stir
- Add seasonings: dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Stir.
- Add evaporated milk. Stir over low heat until it begins to thicken. (About 10 mins)
- Add cheese and stir.
- Add pasta back into cheese sauce and stir.
- Serve and Enjoy!!!
Now if this plain low-fat version doesn't have enough bite for you....I LOVED it with some added Frank's Hot Sauce on top. Plus Frank's Hot Sauce has NO calories, and rumor has it spicy food can help your metabolism!!! [OK, so I just like hot sauce.] Doesn't it look good?
If you liked this Mac N Cheese, be sure to check out our previous 9 weeks of recipes and don't miss the upcoming last two recipes in this series.
Don't miss out on any recipes...
Subscribe to The Patriotic Pam!