OK, I'm no expert, but here is a quick list of things I found new on IOS7 update. Change is sometimes difficult for me, and having the knowledge of what has changed helps the transition. SO here's to hoping this also helps someone else with the transition to the very new operating system!!!
- The swipe to delete (such as text messages or emails) still works, just swipe from right to left.
- To close apps, double click home button like normal. Then instead of holding down an icon till the x appears just swipe UP! Away it goes!!!
- You don't HAVE to have a passcode even though it sets one up for you (if you didn't have one already) when you update. You can go into settings and change it to not click on until your phone has gone unused for a few hours or turn it off if you would like!
- If you don't plan to use the new AirDrop feature in IOS7 then turn it off. It is a battery killer, always searching for someone (other iPhones) to share with. To turn it off, pull up the Control Center and double tap on Airdrop Logo. It then gives you the option for OFF, CONTACTS ONLY, or EVERYONE!!!
- This is my FAVORITE....and yes it is admitting my eyes aren't as young as they used to be (even with contacts in!!!). Need to make the text bigger in apps. Apple now lets you change the text size in apps that support the feature - all Apple apps do - so you can see what you are doing, or make things smaller of course too. To manage this go to Settings > General > Text Size > then slide the bar to where you want it. (Guess what I can now read my text without squinting!!!)
- Apple has given us a whole new set of Sounds for ringtones, text tones, mail, voicemail and more. Lots to choose from. Go to Settings > Sounds (just below General) and you can start changing you iPhone sounds.
- You can quit multiple apps you have running at once by double clicking on the home button and touching 2-3 apps at a time then swipe up. All you are touching will turn off at once.
- When in Safari browser you can click on bottom right to see all your open pages. It brings up a new 3D view of your pages. Although you can still close each individual page with the X at the top left of the page, you can ALSO swipe right or left to close the page too!
- When in Safari and are typing in a web address you can hold down the "." button to see choices appear like .com, .net, .edu, .org and more.
- Wondering where search feature went? Swipe down on your home screen when it's unlocked and search will open. Notification center will open on any other screen by swiping down or NOW from the lock screen too.
- Ever need to know what time a text message was sent or received from someone else? Slide your finger on a text message from right to left and the time is hidden to the right!!!
- Every want to know if a text message is going to send via iMessage or Text message? As you start to type the message the SEND button will be blue for messages that can go via iMessage (to a Mac, iPhone, iPad etc) and the SEND button will be green for messages that need to go via text message.
- New gestures on IOS7 allow you to swipe from left to right to go back on any apple made app. So in Safari, you don't have to hit the back button just swipe. In your mail if you swipe from left to right it will take you back a screen too.
- Want to go back to the top of the page, just tap the status bar (bar on the top) and the page will auto scroll to the top.
- To add Emoji's to your keyboard for FREE just follow these steps: Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard > scroll to Emoji. Now on any keyboard tap on the globe to use your new Emoji's.
- Oh this is too cool.....Setup your iPhone so when you write "OMW", iPhone will type "On my way!" Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Add New Shortcut. Be creative!!!
- To undo what you wrote, just shake your phone and tap "UNDO".
- In addition to quickly deleting email, when you swipe a message, now there's a "MORE" button. Tapping it let's you: Reply, Forward, Flag, Mark as Read, Move to Junk, Move Message!
- Now you can send a photo while drafting an email without having to go to Photos to do so. To attach a photo or video to an email, first tap any blank area to bring up options. Then tap the right arrow and tap Insert Photo or Video and select what you want to attach!
- Photos now will be listed as Years, Collections and Moments. Moment is a list of photos taken at that moment all grouped together. SO if you take a series of photos at a park it will group them together for you.
- You can now take square photos so they are Instagram ready immediately.
- My husband is excited over the new Compass feature (not sure where I will need that, or hope to never have to need that!)
- OK, maybe I will find a use for the Compass. Go into the Compass app and swipe to the right. Lay your iPhone on a surface and it will tell you if it is level or not. Great for home improvement.
- Want to focus your camera without having to tap the screen? (Say if you have gloves on etc.) Just hold down the volume button for a few seconds - similar to shutter buttons on cameras.
- You can now block someone from messaging you if you need to. Go to Settings > Phone > Blocked and wala....block whoever you need to!
Finding battery life to be floating away quicker with this new update? Try this things to help:
- Turn off Airdrop (as stated above)
- Also consider turning off Bluetooth until you need it (like in your car, unless you are in your car a lot during the day!) Bluetooth will constantly look for new connections running battery life down.
- Tone down your brightness, you will find with the new update things all look brighter....lighter color apps, etc. Turn down your overall brightness in settings to save some of your battery life.
- CLOSE APPS - this has always been a no brainer, the more you have running in the background, the more battery you use.
- Notifications always use battery life, if you have every app sending you unneeded notifications, go into Settings and turn some of those off.
- Siri's Raise to Speak option will allow you to talk to Siri without using any buttons. This takes battery to do so. Go into Settings > General > Siri to turn off.
- Watch what apps you have enabled with Background App refresh or turn it off completely. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh to adjust.
- Last but not least....try to RESET your battery life. Many times we train our batteries to think it is smaller than it is. By charging our phones every single night even when it's battery percentages are only at 30-40% is giving it bad battery memory. To RESET your iPhone go to Settings > General > Reset. NOW this is NOT a RESTORE....it will not erase your data or any information you have on your phone. What it does do is reset many settings, like Wifi, Bluetooth, Battery Life, background screens, ringtones, etc. Do make sure you know your Apple ID and Wifi usernames and passwords, as you will need this to reset. Key to resetting is this....make sure you run your battery to completely empty the first time after the reset....then charge to 100% before disconnecting after reset. This is crucial to give your iPhone a good battery memory. (NOTE:You will have to reset you home and lock screen photos, and any special ringtones you had previously set up. Those reset back to original settings after reset.)
Anyone having issues with receiving text messages of another family member? Or are YOUR text messages also going to a phone of someone you share an Apple ID with? Check out this page for how to fix this too!
OK, well this is a start. I promise to add more as I find them. I hope these help. IF you have one to add that isn't listed here, please feel free to comment below and leave your tip. And no please don't tell me to buy an Android, I am TOO much of an Apple person for that! :)
LIKE my page on FACEBOOK to stay informed of more changes as they happen!!!
LIKE my page on FACEBOOK to stay informed of more changes as they happen!!!
Like this? Take a moment to share with others:
Subscribe to The Patriotic Pam