Oh it's that time again....FALL....meaning soups, stews and chili's are amazing! I LOVE fall food. This weekend we made a family favorite, our beer cheese soup. My biggest tip on any beer cheese soup would be to pick a good cheese with a great bite. Our favorite is Cabot Super Sharp Cheddar that has been aged at least 14 months. They have even sharper cheese that has been aged 2-3 years too. To make this soup taste the best you do need good cheese!!! Obviously it's important! The only other tip I have is to make sure you heat the ingredients up slowly and be careful not to scald the cream (yes I know this by experience :)!!!
My guys love this recipe and their favorite things to top it with are....
More cheese (of course)
Soft Pretzel bites
or Crackers (like oyster crackers)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 12 oz of your favorite Beer
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 2 tsp Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 cups half and half
- 4.5 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (just save this for topping)
- scallions diced
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender.
- Add the worcestershire sauce and beer.
- Bring to a boil for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, mustard, and hot sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in half and half and stir constantly. (Be careful here not to scald cream.)
- Toss together the shredded cheese and flour in a bowl, add to the liquid mixture in small batches, stirring constantly until completely melted.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water in a small bowl or shaker cup. Stir into cheese mixture to thicken up a little.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue on low heat stirring until as thick as you like. Serve hot.
- Serve with a little shredded cheese on top and add scallions.
Yummy! This is great to serve on cold days. Or at your favorite football gathering.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to also try these:Don't miss out on any of our recipes...
Subscribe to The Patriotic Pam!