We've made it in the oven and on the grill, and it turns out beautifully either way. But if you are a Big Green Egg person ("an EggHead")...this is a great side dish to mix up and throw in a cast iron skillet and add to your grill while you cook up your favorite main course on the egg. You can't go wrong with this one.
Big Green Egg Easy & Super Sweet Corn Bread
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 45 min
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 3 c. all - purpose flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 Cup melted butter
- 2 Tablespoons. honey
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 Cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Make sure your Big Green Egg has enough charcoal for about an hour of cook time. We use an electric starter to get it going. Then we place in our plate setter in for a diffused heat and add the grill plate on top of that. Allow the grill to reach 350 degrees prior to cooking.
2. In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, & salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together vegetable oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, & milk. Stir together well.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix together. Mix just until batter is moistened.
5. Depending on size of cast iron pan (or if you are using two), use the 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to pre-coat cast iron skillets prior to pouring in batter. (This will help it release better after cooking.) Just use enough to put a good sheen on the pan.
6. Pour batter into cast iron and place on Big Green Egg.
7. Cook for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when placed into middle of corn bread. (This will vary depending at what temperature you keep your BGE while cooking).
8. CAUTION: Use heat resistant hot pads when removing from BGE...this will be incredibly HOT and should be removed with care. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
A few other recipes to try and enjoy!
Like this? Take a moment to share with others:
Subscribe to The Patriotic Pam